My primary research focus is on the impact of stress and fitness level on an individual’s health. These interests have led to investigations examining concurrent mental and physical challenges on cardiorespiratory responses and indicators of inflammation and of endothelial wall function. A secondary area of interest is focused on hormonal responses to exercise and their relationship to health and human performance. And finally, a tertiary general focus has been on mental and physiological factors impacting human performance.
- Crabb, E.B., Franco, R.L., Bowen, M.K., Huang, C.J., Caslin, H.L., Acevedo, E.O. (2016). G Protein-Coupled Receptor Kinase-2 in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells following Acute Mental Stress Life Sciences, 15, 145:184-189. doi:10.1016/j.lfs.2015.12.035.
- Caslin, H.L., Franco, R.L., Crabb, E.B., Huang, C.J., Bowen, M.K., & Acevedo, E.O. (2016). The Effect of Obesity on Inflammatory Cytokine and Leptin Production following Acute Mental Stress. Psychophysiology, 53, 151-158. doi:10.1111/psyp.12568.
- Huang, C.J., McAllister, M., Slusher, A.L., Webb, H.E., Mock, J.T., & Acevedo, E.O. (2015). Obesity-Related Oxidative Stress: The Impact of Physical Activity and Diet Manipulation. Sports Medicine – Open. 1:32. doi:10.1186/s40798-015-0031-y
- Franco, R.L., Privett, S.H., Bowen, M.K., Acevedo, E.O., Arrowood, J.A., Wickham, E.P., & Evans, R.K. (2015) Sympathetic Activity Assessed During Exercise Recovery in Young Obese Females. Journal of Pediatrics, 167, 378-383. doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2015.04.058
- Huang, C.J., Stewart, J.K., Shibata, Y., Slusher, A.L., & Acevedo, E.O. (2015). Lipopolysaccharide-Binding Protein and Leptin are Associated with Stress-Induced Interleukin-6 Cytokine Expression ex vivo in Obesity. Psychophysiology, 52, 687-694. doi:10.1111/psyp.12387
- Huang, C.J., Acevedo, E.O., Mari, D.C., & Randazzo, C.H., Shibata, Y. (2014). Glucocorticoid Inhibition of Leptin- and Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Interlukin-6 Production in Obesity. Brain Behavior and Immunity, 35, 163-168. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2013.10.004