The Department of Kinesiology and Health Sciences
Our mission in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Sciences is to advance the understanding of the critical importance of physical activity and promote healthy lifestyles for the state, nation, and world by:
- Providing an exemplary level of instruction that encourages diversity of thought and fosters a desire and willingness to engage in lifelong learning.
- Facilitating the development and implementation of programs that foster healthy lifestyles for individuals from diverse backgrounds and physical abilities.
- Developing effective leaders who will provide health and physical activity programs for individuals of all ages and abilities
- Engaging in collaborative grant writing and basic and applied research to promote physical activity and health.
- Impacting public policy decision-making to advance positive health practices.
- Establishing partnerships that share knowledge and expertise toward the improvement of healthy lifestyles.
- Anticipating the technological challenges of the future by using current applications and by cultivating creative and imaginative thinking.
- Utilizing the opportunities within the urban environment to develop and enrich healthy lifestyles.
Our undergraduate programs lead to a Bachelor of Science in Health, Physical Education and Exercise Science. Students choose one of the following two concentrations:
- The Exercise Science concentration prepares students to serve as leaders of fitness, health and conditional programs in corporate, commercial, university, and clinical settings that provide exercise programming for healthy individuals and those with chronic disease.
- The Health Science concentration is designed for students who wish to enter a healthcare related field (that does not require licensure, certification or registry status) such as corporate wellness, human services, non-profit health promotion, and medical and pharmaceutical sales.
Our graduate programs lead to a Master of Science in Health and Movement Science and a Doctor of Philosophy in Rehabilitation in Movement Science.
- The Master of Science in Health and Movement Sciences (HEMS) is a graduate program that provides advanced course work for students interested in the application of health and movement science principles to exercise science, teaching and sports medicine. This degree program has a central focus on the sciences and is flexible enough so that students, with the assistance of an adviser, can design a program that truly meets their professional goals.
- The Doctor of Philosophy in Rehabilitation and Movement Science (REMS) is a program that is interdisciplinary in nature and includes faculty from the departments of Health and Human Performance, Physical Therapy, and Physical Medicine. This collaborative degree program uniquely addresses the multi-faceted nature of our health care delivery system and prepares applied scientists to approach health and rehabilitation initiatives from an integrative rather than competitive perspective. The program encourages applications from individuals in rehabilitation and movement science fields such as physical therapy, exercise physiology, sports medicine, and physical medicine.
Kinesiology and Health Sciences is a part of the College of Humanities and Sciences.