Certificate in Health Behavior Coaching
Learn to facilitate positive and lasting behavior change in your clients in our 100% online program.
Our post-baccalaureate graduate certificate in health behavior coaching prepares you to serve a critical role on the interdisciplinary healthcare delivery team in the emerging preventive health care model in the U.S.
Whether a clinical professional or health promotion professional, you will develop and enhance your professional competencies and skills that facilitate a client/patient-centered approach, which assists patients in determining their own personal health goals and action plans.
This online program can be completed as a full-time or part-time student. Successful completion of the program requires a minimum of 21 graduate credit hours beyond the baccalaureate level. The coursework consists of 17 core credit hours plus four credit hours in a selected focus area.
Health behavior coaches complement the work of other health and medical professionals by functioning as supportive mentors that motivate, facilitate and empower clients or patients to:
- Adopt positive and lasting health behavior changes
- Become accountable for their own health
- Comply with health/medical recommendations that promote health and wellness and enhance overall well-being
How to Apply
All applications to the graduate certificate program must be submitted via the VCU admissions portal.
- An undergraduate degree in a health science, social science, behavioral science or other health-related discipline
- A minimum of one year of health-related work experience
- Completed a minimum of four prerequisite course credits in medical terminology and personal health