Frequently Asked Questions About Academic Progress

Q: Where can I get help in a course I am struggling with?

A: The Campus Learning Center (CLC) has group and individual tutoring available for in many subjects including: Anatomy, Physiology, General Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, and Psychology. Check their Drop-in Schedule for exact times. To schedule a one-on-one session, visit the CLC on the first floor of Hibbs Hall.

Q: What are the course grade requirements for HPEX courses if I am an HPEX major?

A: You should always strive to get the best grades possible in all of your courses. You need to have, at the time of graduation, an overall GPA of at least a 2.0 and a major GPA of at least a 2.0, which includes all HPEX courses in addition to major elective courses. You must earn a C or better in all HPEX and major elective courses to be eligible to graduate. Although some prerequisite courses allow you to move on to the subsequent course by earning a D, if the course is being used as part of your major you will have to repeat it to earn a grade of C or better to complete the requirement for the degree. You should check the Undergraduate Bulletin for prerequisite grade requirements for specific courses.

Q: I recently earned a “D or F” in a course. Is there a process to repeat this course?

A: The effective Undergraduate Bulletin states the following about repeating a course: A student may repeat a course in which a D or F was earned by filing a Historical Repeat Course Form at any time during a semester prior to the awarding of the undergraduate degree. This form must be filed before the last week of classes in any semester so the cumulative GPA can be adjusted at the end of that semester. It is available online at Please refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin for further details regarding Historical Repeats.

Q: How many times may I repeat a course and how will it affect my Financial Aid?

A: Federal regulations now state that if repeated coursework falls under the following condition, it cannot be included in a student’s enrollment status for Title IV aid eligibility: Any course that has already been passed (D or higher) can only be taken one additional time. Any repeated attempts after that will not be eligible for financial aid. Please note that all coursework attempted is included in your overall Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculation, which is completed on an annual basis. Students are required to meet minimum SAP requirements to remain eligible for financial aid. The SAP guidelines for eligibility can be found on the Financial Aid website at

Q: I am thinking about withdrawing from a course I’m currently enrolled in, what should I do?

A: Please make an appointment with your advisor as soon as possible, preferably before you withdraw. There are a wide variety of reasons a student may want or need to withdraw from a course. Your adviser can discuss the impact withdrawing may have on your academic progress and assist you in making an informed decision.