Salvatore Carbone, Ph.D.
500 Academic Centre
1020 West Grace St.
Dr. Carbone obtained his BS in Nutrition and Dietetics at Sapienza University of Rome, Italy, then completed a MS in Cellular and Molecular Nutrition at University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Italy, and a PhD in Molecular Medicine and Metabolism at Sapienza University of Rome, Italy. His research investigates the role of different dietary interventions and body composition phenotypes on cardiorespiratory fitness and energy metabolism in patients with obesity and heart failure, with a focus on heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. To complete this project, he has received a Career Development Award from the American Heart Association. He is also investigating the effect of glucose-lowering agents such as sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitors on cardiorespiratory fitness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and heart failure with reduced ejection fraction, for which he has received a Mentored Clinical & Population Research Award from American Heart Association.
Dr. Carbone has published over 80 articles, including original articles resulting from preclinical and clinical studies as well as reviews, invited reviews and editorials.
- Carbone S, Lavie CJ, Arena R. Obesity and Heart Failure: Focus on the Obesity Paradox. Mayo Clin Proc 2017;92(2):266-279.
- Carbone S, Del Buono MG, Ozemek C, Lavie CJ. Obesity, Risk of Diabetes and Role of Physical Activity, Exercise Training and Cardiorespiratory Fitness. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 2019. [Epub ahead of print]
- Carbone S, Canada JM, Buckley LF, Trankle CR, Dixon DL, Buzzetti R, Arena R, Van Tassell BW, Abbate A. Obesity Contributes to Exercise Intolerance in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016;68(22):2487-2488
- Carbone S, Billingsley HE, Rodriguez-Miguelez P, Kirkman DL, Franco RL, Lee DC, Lavie CJ. Lean Mass Abnormalities in Heart Failure: The Role of Sarcopenia, Sarcopenic Obesity and Cachexia. Curr Probl in Cardiol 2019. [Epub ahead of print]
- Carbone S, Billingsley HE, Canada JM, Kadariya D, Medina de Chazal H, Rotelli B, Potere N, Paudel B, Markley R, Dixon DL, Trankle CR, Van Tassell BW, Celi FS, Abbate A. Unsaturated Fatty Acids to Improve Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Patients with Obesity and Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction: Results from the UFA-Preserved Pilot Study. JACC Basic Transl Sci 2019;4(4):563-565.
- Carbone S, Canada JM, Buckley LF, Trankle R, Billingsley H, Dixon DL, Mauro AG, Dessie S, Kadariya D, Mezzaroma E, Buzzetti R, Arena R, Van Tassell BW, Toldo S, Abbate A. Dietary Fat, Sugar Consumption and Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Patients with Heart Failure with preserved Ejection Fraction. JACC Basic Transl Sci 2017;2(5):513-25.
- Carbone S, Dixon DL, Buckley LF, Abbate A. Glucose-Lowering Therapies for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: State-of-the-Art Review. Mayo Clin Proc 2018;93(11):1629-1647.
- Carbone S, Dixon DL. The CANVAS Program: Implications of Canagliflozin on Reducing Cardiovascular Risk in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2019;18(1):64.
- Carbone S, Canada JM, Billingsley HE, Kadariya D, Dixon DL, Trankle CR, Buckley LF, Markley R, Vo C, Medina De Chazal H, Christopher S, Buzzetti R, Van Tassell BW, Abbate A. Effects of Empagliflozin on Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Significant Interaction of Loop Diuretics. Diabetes Obes Metab 2018;20(8):2014-2018
Grant Supports (active)
- Title: Unsaturated Fatty Acids to Improve Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Patients with Obesity and HFpEF (2019-2022).
- Agency: American Heart Association, Career Development Award 19CDA34660318
- Amount: $231,000.
- Role: Principal Investigator.
- Title: Effects of IL-1 Blockade on Exercise Capacity in Patients with Recently Decompensated Systolic Heart Failure (2018-2023).
- Agency: NIH/NHLBI R61HL139943 (Principal Investigators: Antonio Abbate, MD, PhD, Benjamin Van Tassell, PharmD).
- Role: Co-Investigator and Responsible for Clinical Trial Operations.